Thursday, March 15, 2007

Week 9, #22: eBooks and Audio eBooks

I'm familiar with eBooks and Audio eBooks, to the point of helping provide eBook backup support via email to our library patrons. And I'm familiar with Project Gutenberg, mostly because its fearless leader, Michael Hart, has been an outspoken participant of the DIG_REF listserv to which I subscribe. Due to constant change in the realm of digital collections, I appreciated this chance to take another look at both our and Mr. Hart's eBook websites.

I think everyone should read Hart's essay on the history of the Gutenberg project - which goes back to 1971! Long before the Internet, and even before the use of personal computers, the Gutenberg project began at about the same time that I took a little class on computers - taught by my high school geometry teacher on a large computer with punch-card technology in a narrow custodial closet. I never cease to be amazed by the amazing changes in computing technology during the past 35 years. Amidst the changes, Project Gutenberg, with the help of its volunteer workforce, continues to grow and fluorish; its latest venture has been development of a wiki soon to appear on the website.

As for me, I spend so much of my work time at the computer, that if I manage to have some leisure time for reading, I'd rather curl up with a good old-fashioned hard copy book. Electronic format doesn't have to be a substitute for print format; it's good that the two are complementary.

No comments: