Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Week 7, #16: Learn about wikis and their use by libraries

OK, I already knew about wikis and have tried to start one (using PBwiki) in my own library unit but it hasn't taken off yet. Perhaps when more people have gone through this exercise, some in my unit might join me in developing the unit wiki, we shall see. I think that one of the ways we might use it is to update and completely revamp our sadly outdated telephone reference service manual. Unit staff members may have widely varying ideas regarding the type and content of information to be included in such a manual. Anyway, one particularly useful tool from this exercise is the wikimatrix which compares many different wikis - very cool.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

It would be interesting to have that wiki up on our intranet. I wonder if people would contribute? I searched Lifelong learning on wikipedia...thought-provoking ideas there.
Virtual Services team.